In Musick's continuing quest to find out the movers and shakers from across the globe, let's travel down to New Zealand to find out what native sounds are keeping those Antipodeans up all night.
Here's this weeks singles chart:
1. 'Whatever You Like' by T.I. (Big Hip Hop star from America, about to do time for some gun crime...that rhymes!)
2. 'Everything' by P-money Feat. Vince Harder (Have no idea I'm afraid. They're from New Zealand though. Vince Harder sounds like a porn star however)
3. 'All Summer Long' by Kid Rock (Proof that no-one is safe from Mr Rock and his lame summer singalong)
4. 'Sex On Fire' by Kings Of Leon (Ubiquitous American rock band, used to have facial hair but are now far too serious for all that)
5. 'Miss Independent' by Ne-yo (R&B superstar and feminist thinker)
6. 'So What' by Pink (She's like, totally over him already, like, oh my god)
7. 'Live Your Life' by T.I. Feat. Rihanna (He's back and he's brought a friend)
8. 'Poker Face' by Lady Gaga (Nice. Lady Gaga will be HUGE, trust me)
9. 'Just Dance' by Lady Gaga Feat. Colby O'Donis (This song's the better of the two, and that's before I tell you she's partly responsible for New Kids On The Block coming back...hey, wait!)
10. 'One Step At A Time' by Jordin Sparks (Former American Idol winner, this is her third single and is probably quite dull)
So what have we learnt? New Zealanders love American music even more then us Brits do, with 90% of the chart this week made by someone from the US of A. What can we deduce from this? Is it some kind of political statement? Are we headed for some New Zealand/ America alliance? Is it the start of one of the greatest super powers of all time? Or, more prosaically, is it a sign that most radio stations in New Zealand are as narrow-minded as the ones over here?
I will say two things however.
1). Lady Gaga looks and sounds like this:
Like Gwen Stefani before all the yodelling.
2). The T.I. song with Rihanna genuinely features a sample of 'Dragostea din tei' by those musical polymaths O-Zone
Of all the songs to sample. Bizarre.
New Order Settle Legal Dispute With Peter Hook
10 minutes ago